|Juventus were awarded 15 points in Serie
Juventus were awarded 15 points in Serie A by the Italian federation due to false accounting
The penalty is stiffer than the nine points requested by the prosecutor. Juventus faced a 15-point penalty for the false accounting on Friday after an appeal was heard at the Italian Football Federation.
The punishment could end the club’s chances of playing in Europe next season. With 20 games to play this season, Juve are third in Serie A, 10 points behind leaders Napoli, who beat them 5-1 last week. A points deduction would push them out of the European competition places, into mid-table.
The ruling is tougher than the nine-point deduction that a prosecutor had requested during an earlier hearing on Friday over the handling of player transfer deals by Italy’s most successful club Juventus and several other teams.
Former Juventus president Andrea Agnelli was banned from football for two years, as were other former Juve board members who were accused of false bookkeeping by the Turin public. The group resigned in November following an investigation by prosecutors.
He also handed down a 30-month ban on Fabio Paratici, Juve’s former sporting director, who is now managing director of football at Tottenham. Tottenham are understood to be urgently seeking clarification on whether Paratecki’s ban has extended beyond Italy.
Juventus have denied wrongdoing and were initially cleared by a sports court in April. But the federation appealed after filing papers with Turin prosecutors.
Juventus can appeal the decision to Italy’s highest sports court within the Italian Olympic Committee.
The news comes 17 years after the “Calciopoli” refereeing scandal saw Juventus, a record 36-time Italian champions, relegated to Serie B and stripped of two Serie A titles.
At the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Juventus said 23 players agreed to take a four-month pay cut to help the club during the crisis, but prosecutors claim the players only gave up one month’s pay. of Turin prosecutors have also apparently uncovered further alleged secret payments to former player Cristiano Ronaldo that were not reported by Juventus.
The Italian Football Federation has deducted 15 points from Juventus for the current Serie A season for violating the club’s finances.
The fine came on Friday after an Italian football court found him guilty after investigating his transfer dealings.
According to ESPN, the decision, which also dealt a blow to the club’s reputation, is harsher than the nine-point deduction that a football prosecutor had previously requested.
The 15-point penalty has dropped Juventus to 10th place in the Serie A table with 22 points.
ESPN said the decision also included a two-year suspension of the club’s former chairman, Andrea Agnelli, from holding a position in Italian football for allegedly misappropriating and manipulating transfer finances.
Juventus said it would appeal to the country’s Sports Guarantee Board after the reasons for the decision were published.
“We consider this a clear injustice to millions of fans as well, which we believe will soon be redressed in the next court,” Juve’s lawyers said in a statement.
Juventus have denied wrongdoing and said their calculations were in line with industry standards.
The club is controlled by the Agnelli family’s Exor holding company and its shares are listed on the Milan Stock Exchange.
An Italian court investigating the club’s transfer affairs has handed Juventus a 15-point deduction for the current season, leaving the country’s most successful team in mid-table.
The decision, which also dealt a blow to the club’s reputation, was tougher than the nine-point deduction a football prosecutor handed down during a first hearing on Friday for the way Juventus and several other teams handled player transfer deals. Had requested.
With 20 games left to play this season, Juve were third in Serie A with 37 points, 10 behind leaders Napoli. The cut pushes them down to 10th place, outside the qualifying spots for the lucrative European competition.
In a statement late last night, the court also banned 11 former and current Juventus directors from Italian football.
They include 24 months for Andrea Agnelli, who was replaced as chairman this week after officially stepping down in November, and former sporting director Fabio Paratecchi, now at English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur. I am the Managing Director of Football, for 30 months.
Juventus said it would appeal to the country’s Sport Guarantee Board after the reasons for the decision were published.
“We consider this a clear injustice to millions of fans, which we are sure will soon be redressed in the next court,” the club’s lawyers said in a statement.
Juventus have denied wrongdoing and said their calculations were in line with industry standards.
The club is controlled by the Agnelli family’s Exor EXOR.ASholding company and its shares are listed on the Milan Stock Exchange.
The case was reopened.
The ruling overturns a previous ruling in April to clear Juventus, 10 other clubs and their executives of wrongdoing.
Soccer officials had reopened the case and requested a partial annulment of the initial decision so they could review new documents submitted by public prosecutors in the city of Turin who are investigating Juventus’ finances.
The court confirmed the acquittals of eight other football clubs, including Serie A’s Sampdoria and Empoli, and their directors, for whom prosecutors also wanted to reopen the case.
Public prosecutors in Turin have requested to prosecute Andrea Agnelli, 11 others and the club itself on charges of false accounting.
Earlier this week Juventus shareholders appointed a new thin, five-man board with Gianluca Ferrero – a close accountant of John Elkin, the senior businessman in the family that has owned the club for a century – replacing Andrea Agnelli. has been appointed as Chairman. 10 years.
Five things to know about Juventus’ 15-point deduction
The Italian Football Federation on Friday deducted 15 points from Juventus’ accumulated points in the Serie A table this season.
The club was found guilty of inflating the transfer value and lying to the financial authorities in an attempt to save money.
A FIGC statement confirmed the sentence in a statement that read: “The Federal Court of Appeal, presided over by Mario Luigi Torcello, has partially accepted the appeal of the Federal Prosecutor’s Office…Juventus 15 sanctioned the penalty points that will be introduced in current football, along with a series of bans for the season and 11 Juventus executives (30 months for [Fabio] Paratecchi, [Andrea] Agnelli and [Maurizio] Arevabini 24 months for [Federico] Cherubini, 16 months for [Paolo] Nedvid, eight months for [Paolo] Garimberti, [Enrico] Villano, [Asia] Vanier, [Caitlin] Hughes, [Daniela] Marilingo and [Francisco ] Roncaglio).
However, the Bianconi have confirmed that they will appeal the decision.
However, PUNCH examines the club’s offense and brings you five things the club is currently facing in addition to a 15-point deficit.
- Juventus lied
The Biaconeri lied to financial authorities in an attempt to save money by inflating player transfer values, saving the club millions in player salaries and transfer budgets.
- Exchange of irregular players
Prosecutors raised a number of irregularities stemming from player transactions, including the now infamous player swap with Barcelona that sent Arthur to Juventus and Miralem Pjanic to Barcelona. In total, 62 transfers were examined, 42 of which involved Juventus.
- Incorrect figures as players’ salaries
The club was also in the spotlight for claiming to have saved €90 million (£78m/$97m) in player wages in 2020, helping to keep the club’s value stable on the stock market.
- Mass resignation of management
The Juventus board, including president Andrea Agnelli and vice-president Pavel Nedvid, resigned in November after authorities suspected a number of financial irregularities, including wage cuts and unusual transfer deals during the COVID-19 pandemic. In which were the values of the players. inflated
- Point Deduction and Total Suspension of Board Members
Along with the 15-point deduction, past and present board members have faced suspension from the FIGC. Among them is current Tottenham director Fabio Paratici, who has been handed a 30-month ban.
Explained: Why Juventus have been banned by the Italian Football Federation for 15 points
Juventus have been docked 15 points by the Italian Football Federation but why are the Old Lady in hot water again?
- Juventus deducted 15 points.
- Dropped to tenth place in Serie A.
- Several former board members face bans.
Juventus are once again embroiled in a scandal that has led to a 15-point deduction in Serie A due to ‘financial irregularities’ and ‘false accounting’. The decision, which is much harsher than the nine-point deduction that a leading football lawyer had suggested looking into the case, also comes with bans on several former board members.
Former chairman and European Super League lawyer Andrea Agnelli, who resigned last November, has been banned from holding a position in Italian football for 24 months, while Pavel Nedved has been banned for eight months. has been done
Notably, however, current Tottenham sporting director Fabio Paratici has been banned for 30 months. So far, Tottenham have not released a statement.
Why did JUVENTUS sink points?
Unlike the ‘Calciopoli’ scandal, which left Juventus back in 2006 and stripped of two Serie A titles, this is linked to old ladies’ finances and plusvalenza (investments), not bribed officials.
Plusvalenza is basically the profit from the sale of a player from one club to another. Italian prosecutors expressed displeasure over a number of Juventus deals, including the now-infamous swap deal with Barcelona involving midfielders Arthur and Miralem Pjanic.
Of the 62 transfers investigated, 42 involved Juventus. The other clubs under investigation, Sampdoria, Pro Vercelli, Genoa, Parma, Pisa, Empoli, Novara and Pescara – have all been cleared.
The club is also being watched for claims it has saved €90 million (£78m/$97m) thanks to wage cuts in 2020 due to COVID-19.
What they said: Juventus have denied any wrongdoing and announced they will appeal the decision.
“The company awaits the publication of reasons and announces an appeal to the Sports Guarantee College in terms of the Sports Justice Code,” the club said in a press release.
Big picture: A 15-point deduction sees Juventus drop to 10th in Serie A. With their finances and reputation now in tatters, missing out on Champions League football could mean the exodus of their star players.
WHAT’S NEXT FOR JUVENTUS?:
Massimiliano Allegri now has the unenviable task of rallying his players to salvage their season. They face Atlanta at home on Sunday.